A Meaningful Purpose, Inc., a nonprofit organization based in Atlantic County, seeks a dynamic farming professional ready to help take Reeds Organic Farm & Animal Sanctuary to its next level of development. The new Farm Director will step into a vibrant organization with a talented and energized volunteer board, a staff comprised of a Farm Manager and an anticipated army of volunteers. The Director will build upon a newly established brand and program with the goal of significantly growing the organization’s prominence in the community.
A Meaningful Purpose Farm Director serves as a passionate advocate for farmers, organic/regenerative farming practices and the value that animals bring to a farm sanctuary.
This individual embraces our mission of Healthy Soil, Healthy Food and Healthy People and is an experienced farming leader.
Former Reed's Farm, 5075 Spruce Avenue, Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey, consisting of approximately 78 farmable acres currently being regenerated as an organic farm and animal sanctuary. Farm will operate year round with 4 state of the art greenhouses currently in place, crops that are currently being harvested and crops that will be planted as part of a long term plan.
The Director will build upon a newly established brand and program with the goal of significantly growing the organization’s prominence in the community. This individual will embrace our mission of Healthy Soil, Healthy Food and Healthy People and is an experienced farming leader.
Farm Director Responsibilities: The Farm Director is responsible and must fully understand and align with the mission of the farm. They report directly to the Chairman of the Board of Directors and the President and are responsible for implementing the Board’s decisions and policies. The ideal candidate will expand the program and develop and grow opportunities to support local food and farming.
Farm Operations (estimated 90% of time):
Work with, train, teach and oversee farming staff to:
• Analyze existing operations, crops, livestock, staff, and financial documents and recommend improvements.
• Prepare plans and schedules for planting and harvesting and ensuring staff understand expectations.
• Inspect crops, livestock, and perform tests on soil and water.
• Ensure seeds, fertilizers, pest prevention, and other supplies are regularly restocked.
• Schedule repairs, maintenance, and replacement of equipment and machinery.
• Provide the highest care and nurturing of all farm animals.
• Work seamlessly with kitchen and market with open lines of communication on crop forecasts and planning.
• Ensure all staff adhere to health and safety regulations.
• Assist with the recruitment and training of new staff members.
• Provide ongoing performance evaluations for existing staff members.
• Collaborate with the Board of Directors to prepare budgets and financial reports.
• Build professional networks and keep abreast of developments in agricultural science.
Fundraising and Partnerships (estimated 5% of time):
In direct partnership with the Board of Directors:
• Collaborate with the Board to lead solicitations to grow the budget.
• Strengthen the presence of the farm in Atlantic Cape May County and Professional Membership Programs
• Oversee events such as but not limited to seasonal harvest celebrations, like a Fall Pumpkin Picking festival. This includes recruiting sponsors for events, brand partnerships, and initiating innovative events that promote local food, farms, and farming.
• Promote the mission of A Meaningful Purpose.
• Be one of the faces of Reeds Organic Farm & Animal Sanctuary to community partners, organizations, farmers, and at conferences and other community/fundraising events.
Program Development and Implementation (estimated 5% of time):
• Work with the Board of Directors to set and oversee appropriate programming goals and strategies
• Work closely with kitchen and market operations
• Oversee workshops, mentorships, and Technical Assistance for farmers.
• Work with Volunteer Coordinator to support workforce development training initiatives.
• Strengthen and oversee a marketing/outreach strategy to increase farm sales—includes social media and advertising campaigns.
• Oversee communications with farmers, food producers, buyers, and community members--connect them
Those who meet the criteria please email your resume and letter of interest to Cookie Till.
78 available acres to be farmed and utilized for animal sanctuary. We began planting organic seeds in March, 2020 in the greenhouse and several areas on the land. We are harvesting many of our vegetables currently. We have cover crop in areas and are planning to increase our farming area in the future, The land was previously operated as the well known Reeds Farm which was known for its corn and tomatoes and is well known in the area. We have begun regenerating our soil top support future plantings. We currently have 80 chickens, 30 ducks, guinea hens, 2 pot belly pigs and 2 horses. We expect Alpacas to arrive soon.
with each other and with local opportunities to support farmers.
• Experience managing a highly motivated team
• Experience in financial management and strategic planning
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
• Ability to work collaboratively and foster teamwork to create a fun environment
• Demonstrated strong interest in agriculture/farming through past activities and or work
• Commitment to the mission of A Meaningful Purpose, Inc.
• Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced nonprofit environment with a sense of humor
• Ability to work with individuals and groups with diverse interests, skills, and backgrounds
• Excellent professional references
A minimum of 2 years working on a mixed vegetable organic farm.
Ability to navigate all aspects of crop management.
Sowing, seeding, harvesting and rotation.
Helpful; experience in working with farm animals and fundraising.