Working on a 75 head herd rotational grazing herdshare dairy farm operation both independently and as a team. We produce dairy products (fluid milk, butter, and cream), 100% grass-fed/finished beef, free-range chicken eggs, pastured poultry, and honey as some of our farm products. Our farming practices do not use herbicides or pesticides.
Also on the farm is a custom lumber operation which produces a variety of products such as siding, finished flooring, and garden stakes.
Require someone who will take ownership of duties, work in all types of weather, proactively engage in improving methods and processes, is attentive to detail, self-motivated, and able to work without supervision. Applicant should have team lead or supervisory experience and be a "jack of all trades."
Work hours may also include nights, mornings, holidays, and weekends as the need arises. We are a rapidly expanding small farm business and require a responsible farm manager to assist the operation as we move to the next level.
White Oak Meadows is located in Dinwiddie County in the "southside" area of Virginia. The farm itself is in a rural community consisting of primarily conventional farm operations and planted pine. We are one of the few non-conventional farms in the southern Virginia area.
Although the farm itself is in a more remote location, Blackstone (Ft Pickett) is 15 min away and has basic necessities (grocery, fuel, fast food, etc). Petersburg is 35 miles east, Farmville is 45 miles west and Richmond is approximately 1 hour away to the northeast of the farm.
White Oak Meadows consists of 150+ acres at the main site, with approximately an additional 350 acres within the county leased for hay/baleage. We are currently working to purchase more farmland.
We are a 75 head herd rotational grazing herdshare raw dairy farm operation and produces products such as fluid milk, butter, and cream. Our beef is 100% grass-fed/finished, eggs come from free-range chickens, and our Cornish cross broilers are pasture-raised. We also have bees for honey as another one of our farm products. Our farming practices do not use herbicides or pesticides. Our poultry feed is non-GMO and soy-free.
Also on the farm is a custom lumber operation which produces a variety of products such as siding, finished flooring, and garden stakes, as well as the lumber materials for our farm infrastructure projects.
We are a rapidly expanding farm operation with a dramatic increase in our sales of herdshare raw milk, 100% grass-fed/finished beef, pastured poultry, and free-range chicken eggs. As a result, we are increasing our livestock and poultry operations and our market presence within the greater Richmond area and Virginia coastal areas. We also plan to add a pork and turkey component to the operation rather than relying solely on contracting out that aspect.
We area adding more brooder space and mobile chicken coops, hatchery, planting and harvesting more hay/baleage, and would like to also add an aquaponics component to our farming operation as well.
To due the business expansion, we are looking for the right person who can assist in efficiently managing the day-to-operations and projects, and assist in managing interns and young farm workers.
We need a "jack of all trades" with skillsets is at least some of the following: mechanical, electrical, plumbing, carpentry/construction, and/or welding. In addition to acting as a lead/supervisor for farm employees/interns.
Potential option for housing.
• Strong work ethic
• Good customer interaction skills
• Willing and able to make decisions in a sometimes fluid working environment
• Ability to supervise and direct employees to accomplish necessary goals and objectives
• Able to identify needs, find solutions, and work with available resources to get the job done
• Mechanical, electrical, plumbing, carpentry skills a plus; some experience necessary
• Ability to self-teach and problem solve is a necessity
• Metal fabrication, and equipment diagnostics/repair experience a plus
• Able to pass a drug test
• Driver’s License with clean driving record
• This is a non-smoking/vaping workplace
• Fence building (permanent and temporary)
• Equipment operation (tractors, hay equipment, loaders, small power and hand tools)
• Work outdoors in all types of weather
• Working with cattle (dairy and beef)
o Rotational grazing
o Assisting with calving and medical as needed
• Milking, when necessary
• Working with poultry
o Moving poultry tractors daily on pasture
o Processing and packaging broilers
o Collecting, washing, and packaging eggs
o Attending local farmer’s markets
o Planning/packing for markets
o Interacting with customers for sales and answering questions
o Delivery of farm products to retail store customers
• Maintenance and farm building construction
• Ability to maintain equipment
• Ability to lift up to 50lbs repeatedly
• Willing and able to make decisions in a fluid working environment
• Ability to learn lumber identification
• Ability to make decisions on proper lumber sort based on provided guidelines
• Ability to learn to operate and maintain modern sawmill equipment
• Take ownership of one’s work
• Proactively engaging in improving methods and processes
• Self-motivated and able to work without supervision
Please send resume with professional references to: