Working on a 75 head herd rotational grazing herdshare dairy farm operation both independently and as a team. We produce dairy products (fluid milk, butter, and cream), 100% grass-fed/finished beef, free-range chicken eggs, pastured poultry, and honey as some of our farm products. Our farming practices do not use herbicides or pesticides. We have recently added a small greenhouse operation for produce and plan to expand.
Also on the farm is a custom lumber operation which produces a variety of products such as siding, finished flooring, and garden stakes.
Require someone who will take ownership of duties, work in all types of weather, proactively engage in improving methods and processes, attention to detail, is self-motivated, and able to work without supervision.
Wilsons, VA (Dinwiddie County) 23894.
This is a predominantly rural area with the small towns of Blackstone, VA approximately 15 minutes west and Dinwiddie, VA about 15 minutes east. The Petersburg/Colonial Heights/Prince George area is 45 minutest east and has grocery, lodging, veterinary, medical, etc. We are about 1 hour southwest of Richmond, VA.
Most of the immediate farms in our area are conventional beef, dairy, and/or crops, and planted pine. We are one of the few sustainable farms in this "southside" Virginia area.
• Fence building (permanent and temporary)
• Equipment operation (tractors, hay equipment, loaders, small power and hand tools)
• Working with cattle (dairy and beef)
o Rotational grazing
o Assisting with calving and medical as needed
o Milking, when necessary
• Working with poultry
o Moving poultry tractors daily on pasture
o Processing and packaging broilers
o Collecting, washing, and packaging eggs
o Attending local farmer’s markets
o Planning/packing for markets
o Interacting with customers for sales and answering questions
o Delivery of farm products to retail store customers
• Maintenance and farm building construction
• Ability to maintain equipment
Housing may be available.
• Ability to lift up to 50lbs repeatedly
• No tobacco use or vaping allowed on the farm property
• Strong work ethic and attention to detail
• Good customer interaction skills
• Willing and able to make decisions in a fluid working environment
• Ability to pass a drug test
• Driver’s License with clean driving record
• Pay commensurate with experience
• Pay check is direct deposit on a bi-weekly basis
• Work outdoors in all types of weather
Cannot be allergic to peanuts due to some of the products used on the farm.
Please send resume, including professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will respond via email with follow-up questions. Plan to do a telephone or Zoom meeting interview as part of the process.
We are willing to consider a couple; however, both parties must be willing to work on the farm full-time if living in provided housing.
Starting date is flexible.